Introduction To Installing A New Lawn. Installing a new lawn for a lot of can be a back breaking task and many questions arise when looking out onto your yard area to find out a vacant plot or an overgrow lawn area which has been neglected to the point of no return. This short article will attempt to answer some of the many questions I have answered from homeowners about installing a new lawn from sod.
Should I Need to Remove the Old Lawn. Yes, You need to take away the old lawn. Eliminating the old lawn will guarantee that when you plant the newest lawn the roots can penetrate through the old green layer. Typically a lawn removal ought to be to a depth of 2-3 inches, you must think about the grade where your yard currently sits and also the level of soil that you must install to your new lawn. In a few special cases where you might add a layer of new soil without being above grade, you might leave the existing lawn set up. New lawns will require a minimum depth of 3 inches of the well draining soil, abundant in nutrients. Most lawn removals may be completed by using sod cutter, using a bobcat and an excavator in hard to access yards may be a hazard and could create more work than initially planned.
Soil For The New Lawn. Soil for your new lawn is very important to plant health and good growing conditions. Your brand new lawn will spot much better growth over time when a quality top soil is installed. Most of the time the greater expensive the soil, the better quality.
The perfect lawn needs to be designed with a minimum of 3″ of the well draining topsoil. The soil itself should contain at the very least 70% sand and the sub grade needs to be self draining. Soils that have high volumes of wood chips and organic matter ought to be avoided. Soils that contain paper recycling waste and also have a strong odor ought to be avoided also. Generally topsoil today is created from compost, make sure to ask your supplier the valuables in the soil and make sure the composting process is finished. A soil analysis with a neutral ph balance needs to be requested out of your supplier.
Form of Sod or Seed. Sod or also termed as turf will be the preferred approach to installing a brand new lawn. Sod may be installed all year round and turf farms are ready to accept supply year round.
The variety of grass seed or sod to use depends on:
1. Using your lawn area. This includes the amount of traffic that the lawn area is exposed to, including pets and youngsters.
2. The amount of sunlight that your lawn area receives. Full sunlight areas should receive at least 70% in the daily sunlight.
3. The seasonal temperatures inside your climate.
In most cases turf that comes coming from a sod farm or supplier will carry a number of sod that is great for residential usages. Sod farms will grow kinds of grasses that fair well for brand new lawns with heavy traffic and shade. In some instances specialty grasses are for sale to low maintenance. Be sure to ask…
How You Can Install the Sod. Installing a brand new lawn may be completed using these easy steps:
1. Lay the turf out in a brickwork fashion, meaning stagger the rolls therefore the seams tend not to match on top of the sod rolls. Start in a straight line.
2. Butt all edges together tightly. Doing some extra work and spending a little bit more time pulling the joints of the turf rolls together will guarantee the grass covers each of the soil. Should you leave gaps in between the turf rolls, weeds may grow within the bare patches of soil. Sod installation can be quite a difficult job should you don’t spend the time to accomplish it properly.
3. Cut all overlapping pieces in place having a sharp knife. You might niugpu the scraps to fill in other bare patches. Sod seams will grow together over time. You do not have to waste any other turf pieces.
4. Water the sod when you install. Usually do not enable the turf dry up at any time. When the sod is able to dry out, shrinkage may occur on the seams and the turf may die. Installing sod over a hot day might require frequent watering so make sure you are prepared ahead of time.
5. Roll the brand new lawn when you complete laying turf. Installing a new lawn is a very rewarding task and provides instant beautification for any property.